I’m a Lushie. A big one.
I was first introduced to Lush back in 2008, and, honestly, it’s been love ever since. From lotions, to solid toothpaste, I’ve tried almost everything they have to offer, and I’m keen on giving their shampoo bars a whirl next. The main reason I’m a huge fan of Lush is because their products are cruelty free and are made using natural ingredients.
I passed by Lush at 360 Mall a few days ago to pick up Sleepy, which is now part of their permanent range. Initially launched as part of Lush’s limited edition 2016 winter line up, Sleepy is an amazing body lotion that’s chock-full of natural ingredients, SLS free, and is lavender scented. The lavender isn’t camphorous, and mixed with the tonka absolute oil the overall scent is malty and floral; it’s such a comforting smell. In addition to cocoa butter, jojoba, and almond oil, the lotion has an oatmeal infusion base, which is perfect for those who have sensitive skin.
I apply this cream right before going to sleep, and what I love is that not only does it help me go to sleep a tad faster (falling asleep is very difficult for me), but it’s moisturising levels are immediately noticeable without the greasiness some lotions leave behind. As a matter of fact, in less than 10 minutes, I’ve found that it sinks into my skin beautifully. I also love how with the warmth of my skin, the scent is activated to its fullest. A plus for me is the fact that when I wake up in the morning, I can still smell the lotion’s malty lavender scent on my skin. This lotion is a definite favourite after Lush’s Dream Cream, which cured my eczema after a week of daily use. However, unlike Dream Cream, Sleepy is of a slightly lighter consistency and doesn’t have chamomile in it (that, and Sleepy is purple with lustre glitter in it – those are the only things I’m not so big on about the lotion).
Photographed above (clockwise):
- R&B Hair Moisturiser: I recently found out R&B stood for Revive & Balance, and this product does exactly that perfectly! This moisturiser works best for those who have dry or curly hair (I have both). A little goes a very long way with this product; I just swipe my fingers of the top so there’s enough product on my fingertips, and add it to damp hair (from my ears down) post-shower. The dominant scents are that of jasmine and orange blossom – it’s strong; we’re talking hits you hard kind of strong. I sometimes use this on dry hair when I need to tame my baby hairs. Again, a little goes a long way, so build up the amount of product and don’t go digging into that tub from the get go!
- Dream Cream Hand and Body Lotion: I had a nasty bout of eczema on my right hand that didn’t seem to respond to any medication (cortisone and cortisone-free) for 6 months. I used Dream Cream on it as a last resort, and lo and behold, 2 days into using it twice a day, my eczema started to heal. Like I mentioned earlier in the post, a week of using this lotion put an end to my eczema. The oat milk is the star of this lotion, and paired with the lavender, chamomile, and cocoa butter the anti-inflammatory properties work together beautifully to provide relief to those with sensitive skin/eczema, and also moisturise like a dream (no pun intended). Just like with R&B, a little goes a long way. Unfortunately, the lotion leaves a greasy residue and isn’t as quickly absorbed into the skin – I wouldn’t suggest handling anything after application for at least 30 minutes.
- H’Suan Wen Hua Hair Treatment: Pronounced Shwen Wen Hua. I love that everything in this is fresh, but I’m not keen on the smell. Unlike most products I purchase at Lush, I didn’t smell this in the store; I was literally sold by how enthused the saleswoman was about the treatment. Never disappointed by a Lush product, I purchased it blindly. Unfortunately, there’s no easy way to go about the smell. My initial whiff picked up on eggs, bay leaf, and cinnamon, which are amongst the key ingredients that also include banana and avocado. After using this, and no matter how many times I shampooed, my hair still smells like pumpkin pie (which I love, but not in my hair!). The only consolation is that my troubled damaged curly hair is supple and shiny after I was out the treatment. So, sucking up the smell is well worth it when the result is incredible. I apply this to dry hair, leave it on for an hour, shampoo and condition as normal, then apply R&B Hair Moisturiser on my towel-dried hair from the ears down.
- My cat Siegfried (whom I call Siggy), who’s just as much a fan of Lush as I am, apparently!
- Sleepy Hand and Body Lotion.
A quick shout out to the lovely ladies at Lush 360 Mall who are super sweet and helpful, and a special shout out to Jemma who totally caught me off guard and recognised my voice from the radio!
You can find Lush Kuwait at The Avenues, 360 Mall, The Gate Mall, and Promenade Mall, and will be opening in Hamra Mall soon. Follow them online on: Instagram: www.instagram.com/LushKuwait or www.mena.lush.com